More about the Chris Evans Property
Taken from Evans & Sontag, The Famous Outlaws of California by Hu Maxwell, reprinted in 1981

On January 2, 1890 Christopher Evans deeded thirteen lots in Visalia for $1,100 to John Sontag, a man of supposedly limited means because of a heartless firing by the Southern Pacific Railroad. The lots were in the Aughinbaugh's Addition in the northern part of town and generally bounded by West, Strawberry and NW Third Streets. On April 18, 1891, John Sontag deeded the same lots to Eva Evans for the sum of five dollars. The deed was filed September 4, 1891 at the request of Mrs. Evans.

The second transfer of property in early 1890 was recorded on February 6, when Chris deeded to his wife, in consideration of her love and affection, the quarter section they called the Redwood Ranch, east of Camp Badger (E 1/2 of NW 1/4 and N 1/2 of NE 1/4 of Sec. 21, T14, R28E). It is possible that she could have borrowed money on this property from her family without having it recorded but it could not have been a large sum since the parcel was later sold to the government for only five hundred dollars.


The government bought his Redwood Ranch mining claim in the mountain near Badger for $500 and that quarter section is now apart of the Sequoia National Forest. With this money Mrs. Evans moved the family to Portland, Oregon. Little has been reported of these years but they were obviously difficult as none of the children graduated from grammar school."